Saturday, May 05, 2007

Maldives Update: Amin Faizal

Amin Faizal was sent home. This press statement from his family:

PRESS RELEASE

Firstly, let me thank the Almighty Allah for saving me from Dhoonidhoo where I spent the past 18 days. Secondly, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all those people who have campaigned selflessly to secure my release.

Although this regime may continuously persecute me, detain me, may bring ridiculous charges against me and may even throw me into long-term imprisonment, my determination to work peacefully to establish proper democracy in the Maldives is not going to diminish. The more they persecute me, the harder is my resolve to ensure that one day there will be a Maldives where all our people would be able to express themselves freely, assemble together freely and to travel freely without harassment from the authorities. To this end, I am dedicating my life. I know the road ahead could be a rocky one. But with the blessings of the Almighty we will achieve our goals.

Thank you once again for all your kindness and support. I would particularly like to thank my lawyer Mariya Didi for all her dedicated efforts and to the MDP leadership for their hard work to secure my release. I would also like to thank Mr. Mohamed Falah, the Vice-President of Male’ Dhaaira and the rest of my fellow MDP members for their unwavering support. To all those people who campaigned for my release here in the Maldives and abroad, friends and strangers alike, I am truly indebted to each and every one of you.


THANK YOU

Amin Faisal & family

3 May 2007

No comments:

The old masthead

The old masthead